Friday, September 28, 2007

Diabetic Communication


I communicate regularly with my daughter's endocrinologist. He is marvelous, and a perfect example of a professional who is completely comfortable with technology.
I use a program called Google Docs, and post a spreadsheet of Julia's blood glucose levels, and all important conditions surrounding them. I can't imagine having to communicate the latest numbers over the phone (before the age of fax machines that's exactly how it was done).But with the doctor able to view the document whenever he wants, he can get up to the minute data, and we should be able to make adjustments twice as fast. Also my husband or the school nurse can put in data if they want.

You can look at them if you like
- her sugars have been high this week because we've started pumping insulin on (Tuesday) with another relatively new technology: The omnipod. This totally beats giving her 5 shots a day. The only thing that could make it better is if it had a way to communicate with my computer, and I could just upload the data into a spreadsheet, and then into google docs!

No comments: